At festive events or simply at home, tobacco consumption remains just as constant. Unfortunately, it is not easy to quickly dissipate the smell of cigarettes. You do not need to perfume yourself more, the mixture of aromas can quickly make you dizzy. And this strong emanation tends to invade the entire room, thus affecting the walls and furniture. Here are some simple solutions that can be applied to counteract this common daily problem.
Generally, to overcome the problem and make your clothes smell good again, you go directly to the washing machine solution. However, this is not always recommended when the garments are very delicate. Especially since if you are a regular smoker, you are not going to wash your already clean clothes systematically every day! To cut costs and avoid constant use of the machine, try these smart tips to eliminate cigarette odor.
Air your clothes outside
This is one of the best ways to get rid of the annoying smell of stale tobacco. In addition, this option does not require the purchase of any maintenance products. All you need to do is hang your clothes in an open and airy space. Of course, avoid letting them ventilate in bad weather conditions (rain, hail or snow). We recommend that you wear your clothes only in a bright and well-ventilated area of the house, but also not in direct sunlight to avoid possible discoloration.
use white vinegar
Surely you have some in your pantry. Vinegar is essential in every home. It is not only used in the kitchen, but also as a cleaning product to disinfect various surfaces in the home. As a bonus, it’s natural, eco-friendly, and inexpensive! Thanks to its deodorant properties, white vinegar will be of great help to remove that unpleasant smell of tobacco from your clothes.
How to apply it? In a container, mix hot water with a glass of white vinegar. Then bring your clothes closer so that they absorb the steam from the mixture. You will be pleasantly surprised to find after a few minutes that the solution has completely eliminated all odors.
Use baking soda
Like white vinegar, baking soda is also a great ally in the kitchen, but also for cleaning all the elements in the house. This white powder, which has become very popular again, also has the ability to eradicate difficult stains and neutralize bad odours. It’s even the perfect alternative to space machine washes.
Here’s a radical method for absorbing bad tobacco odors: Put your clothes in an airtight plastic bag (garbage bag will do!) and pour half a cup of baking soda into it. Shake the bag vigorously so that the powder is evenly distributed inside. Let the night pass. The next day, take the clothes out of the bag and use a brush to remove product residue. You only have to smell your clothes to see that the smell is completely gone!
This is an unexpected trick that few people know about. Although unusual, it is nonetheless very efficient! Using an alcoholic drink to remove the smell of tobacco seems quite anecdotal, but this solution has proven its effectiveness. For even more satisfying results, you’ll need to get a bottle with a sprayer first. Depending on the size of the container, add about three parts water to a capful of vodka. Then spray the clothes. As the alcohol evaporates, it will carry the cigarette smell with it. And voila!
How to get rid of the smell of tobacco infiltrated in the house?
Now that you have the effective solutions to remove cigarette smell from your clothes, let’s now look at some solutions to get rid of this unpleasant smell from your interior.
- First step: ventilate the room as often as possible. If you constantly smoke at home, open the windows regularly to renew the air. The more closed the space is, the more the smell will settle in the furniture, the curtains and the carpets.
- Of course, an ashtray full of butts doesn’t help. She will continue to fill the room with that unbearable smell of cold tobacco. Remember to empty it regularly.
- As we have explained before, white vinegar is a valuable ally to eliminate this bad smell. You have two options: spray the furniture textiles with a little product diluted in water or install a bowl of white vinegar on the living room table. Its vapor will absorb indelicate odours.
- Same principle with baking soda: you can sprinkle sofas or carpets with white powder to eliminate tobacco odors embedded in fabrics. After a few hours, you won’t feel a thing. To remove residual baking soda, use a small vacuum cleaner. As for cushions and curtains, you can spray them with an effective mixture of hot water, lemon juice, and baking soda. It is an infallible remedy to neutralize the smell of cigarettes.
- Have you considered scented candles? They are usually of great help to dissipate these strong odors and leave a scented veil in the room. There are also anti-smoking candles specially designed to deodorize the environment and drive away the unpleasant odors of cold tobacco.