Astuces de grand-mère, Jardin et potager

5 places in the house where you should not put plants: nobody thinks about it

Before receiving a new flowering plant in your home, it is important to know its needs, especially in light and heat, and above all to find out if it can cause allergies or be toxic. This information will help you know where to avoid placing certain plants.

Where to have flowering plants at home?

flowering plants

Blooming plants. source: spm

Houseplants don’t thrive everywhere in the house. In fact, some of them may not bloom. if they are placed in places with little exposure. In addition to this, some plants may present an allergy risk or be toxic to children or pets. With that said, here are 5 places around the house where they shouldn’t be kept.

  • Place flowering plants front of the window

The hibiscus flower is afraid of cold and frost.

The hibiscus flower is afraid of cold and frost. source: spm

Some flowering plants are not hardy, that is, they cannot withstand cold and frost. In fact, temperature drops can cause a thermal shock and turn their foliage yellow. Some plants can even wilt or freeze if their leaves touch a cold window, especially in winter. That’s why it’s better keep cold houseplants away from the window, especially when temperatures drop in winter.

  • Place flowering plants inabove the cabinet or on a high shelf

Placing houseplants high up, such as on a high shelf or above a cabinet, may not be suitable for all flowers, especially those who need exposure to light to grow and flourish. In this case, it would be better to keep your plants in a place exposed to sunlight.

  • Close to the door

Your flowering plants may not bloom if you keep them near a door. In fact they could suffer from drafts In addition to the lack of light.

  • In the bedroom

Amaryllis, toxic flower for babies.

Amaryllis, toxic flower for babies. source: spm

If certain plants are effective in promoting sleep, thanks to its decontaminating properties, others should be avoided in the bedroom. In fact, it is recommended to avoid plants with very fragrant flowers, because its strong odor could disturb sleep. Some flowering plants can even cause allergies. This is also the case of the amaryllis which is, according to Doctissimo, toxic to babies, or even the chrysanthemum which, in addition to being allergenic it’s also irritating. Contact with this flower could cause allergic contact dermatitis. That said, you can substitute these flowers for green plants that have the particularity purify the ambient air of toxins such as benzene or formaldehyde. This is particularly the case with ivy, sansevieria or dragon tree.

  • Within reach of pets or children

Cyclamen, a toxic plant for pets.

Cyclamen, a toxic plant for pets. source: spm

Some flowering plants are poisonous to pets and should not be kept in areas accessible to your cat or dog. This is the case of azaleas, cyclamens, amaryllis, chrysanthemums and hyacinths. Ingesting a toxic flower could cause your pet to vomit, diarrhea, excessive salivation, tremors, or seizures. If you notice these symptoms in your cat or dog, don’t try to make him vomit and contact the vet immediately. If you still want to have flowering plants in your home, you can opt for harmless flowers for your pet, such as marigolds, petunias or even certain varieties of orchids.

By avoiding these places, you will allow your flowers to bloom and flourish, without fear of the allergenic potential that certain flowering plants might have.

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.