No one is safe from a flat tire. In the morning when starting, or even worse, in traffic… when you perceive strange sensations in your steering wheel or when the vehicle is hunting. So let’s take things easy! We are going to remind you here what to do in an emergency: get safe and protect your vehicle. Then we will see together that it is quite possible to repair a puncture yourself.
Efficiently, economically and in a very reasonable time, you can repair your tire. You will be serene and above all you will have saved. Here’s how to proceed, but first of all, you’ll need to change your wheel.
There are steps to follow to change a flat tire and get back on your way with peace of mind.
stop the vehicle :sbe reasonable not to continue driving. There are two reasons for this: it can aggravate the puncture and complicate its future repair by damaging the sidewall of the punctured wheel. Result: instead of repairing a simple puncture, it may be necessary to change a tire or even two.
stop in a safe place : signal your presence, with the fluorescent vest and the warning triangle – mandatory from 1Ahem July 2008, as specified on the site economy.gouv.fr.
On the road, It is very dangerous to park in the “emergency lane”, it is also prohibited: the right-hand traffic lane is reserved for emergency vehicles. Go to a “shelter”: a place equipped for unexpected stops. They are found every two kilometers. In any case, you will only have to travel one kilometer, it is safer for you and your passengers.
change the wheel : It’s relatively simple as long as you follow the guide. After parking in a safe place and applying the parking brake, shift into first gear. Take out the spare tire, jack and key. Loosen the nuts with the anti-theft socket and turn them counterclockwise. Position the jack to raise the car, and then remove the wheel. Fit the spare wheel by placing it on its axle and then refit the nuts, tightening them with the wrench. Operate the jack so that the wheels are on the ground. Tighten the nuts enough and reattach the hubcap.
We are going to learn how to repair a puncture, and even put a wick on it, to avoid buying a new tire. For this, you will need equipment, take an inventory of it before proceeding.
- A school chalk,
- a spray bottle of soapy water,
- a cutter,
- tire glue,
- rubber wicks. They are found in all specialized areas of automotive repair.
- pliers, a screwdriver drill, to get into the rubber,
- another tool, with a hook, to insert the patch – in the same radius as the wicks.
How to proceed ?
Arrange the wheel on a table, or on your workbench, put on gloves to protect yourself, especially from glue.
- Feel the surface of all the rubber, to find where the nail was driven into your tire;
- Remove the obstructing object with the pliers;
- You have not found anything… This is when you need to spray the soapy water over the entire surface of the tire, do not forget the side parts. Proceed quarter by quarter of the surface. Mark with chalk each place where a small soap scum appears. The air passes through it;
- Now, use the drill driver: it will size the hole for the future bit;
- Insert the wick into the hook, put some glue on it;
- Insert everything into the puncture hole, being careful to leave only the wick, which should stick out;
- Wait for the action of the glue – check the drying time in the instructions;
- When the glue is dry, check again with soapy water that air no longer passes;
- Using the cutter, reduce the part of the wick that protrudes from the repair;
- Go to the mechanic to check if necessary, and re-pressure the tires with the pneumatic compressor.
Repairing a puncture yourself no longer holds any secrets for you. With a minimum of material, patience and very little skill, you will get a very good result.
read also Avoid breaking this rule with your tires: in the event of a revision, you risk a fine of 135 euros