Curious, capricious and mysterious, cats are not always easy to figure out. However, all the owners of these small cats have understood one important thing: knowing how to read their body language is the key to better understanding them and deciphering their emotions. Because, behind each of his gestures, a very specific message is hidden. Take, for example, a behavior that often intrigues you: why is your cat constantly wagging its tail? Obviously he is trying to communicate something. Learn to interpret this gesture to better understand what he feels, what attracts him or, on the contrary, what he fears.
Why do cats keep wagging their tails?
Usually, it is dogs that use their tails to express their feelings and their current state, but the cat’s tail is also an important communication tool. Its movement, apparently simple and carefree, is actually a complex and structured language that it uses to communicate, be it with people, with other animals or with its environment. In other words, the movement of a cat’s tail is more than just a swing. Also, if you have a domestic cat, you will notice that it tends to wag its tail in different ways: fold it, hide it, turn it, raise it or tilt it. And this, slow or fast. If you look closely, the movements are not the same and each one of them symbolizes an indicator of his mood and emotional state. In fact, it is by wagging his tail that he translates his feelings of the moment and his intentions, be they benevolent or aggressive.
Good to know : Sometimes the cat uses its tail to balance its body during a dangerous movement. To avoid falling, on a slippery surface for example, he will tilt his tail in a certain way to maintain stability and not slip.
Also read: Cats and foxes will no longer defecate in your garden thanks to this trick
When your cat wags its tail or holds it in a certain position, it is trying to tell you something. If you want to know more about his mood, you just have to pay attention. His cock will turn into an open book!
- Moves its tail like a fan : When your cat wags its tail from side to side, it clearly shows its disapproval or anger. And, the faster he moves it, the more he expresses disgust at it. If the speed of the previous movement increases, there is a clear sign of aggression. Be careful, he is preparing for an attack, so he may bite or scratch you. In this context, it is better to be careful and stay away. If he notices that only the tip of his tail is firing quickly, that means he may be stressed or anxious. Try to relax it! On the contrary, if the movement is slow and regular, your cat is calm and only seeks your attention. If, in addition to moving its tail, it fixes a particular object or a specific direction, it expresses attraction or interest in it.
- It wags its tail briskly. : If your cat lowers her tail but shakes it violently and frantically, this can indicate annoyance, choking, or even physical discomfort. This often happens when he is bothered by small children who won’t stop pestering him or when his own master insists on holding him for too long. In this case, let it go and give it the space it requires. Remember, cats have a wild and solitary instinct. They hate being suffocated! However, if he is doing the same quick movement, but his tail is held high, that means he is in a playful mood and craves your presence.
- It hides its tail under its body. : When it hides its tail, your cat expresses discomfort, fear, shame or guilt. Or he did something stupid and he thinks you’re going to punish him. Or he heard a deafening noise, in which case he freaks out and cringes. The low tail hidden under the body also reflects anxiety before another more imposing and aggressive animal.
- His tail is up : This is a common stance. This symbolizes a self-defense mechanism common to all cats. Faced with prey, a confrontation with other animals or a possible threat, the tail immediately swells and the cat seems ready to attack.
- He sticks his tail up : shows that your cat is excited and happy. This often happens when you get home from work, when you give him some treats, or when it’s time to play with you. This shows his joy and satisfaction with him.
- It moves its tail slowly to the right. : this movement is the sign of strong concentration. You often notice this when you’re looking for something or coming to a new place you don’t know. It is his way of trying to orient himself and analyze the environment in which he finds himself.
Why does your cat move its tail stuck to the ground?
Tapping or sweeping the floor with the tail is one of the most complex gestures to decipher. In addition to having different meanings, it could be accompanied by a particular posture that helps its owners understand the message that the cat is trying to convey.
Also read: Christmas tree, never put it here: next year you will have to throw it away
When the movement is subtle, calm and without taking the tail off the ground, it is because something interests him. If he touches the ground with sudden movements, he wants to play, either with you or with another cat. Conversely, if he’s getting sleepy and his tail is sticking to the ground, it’s because he’s still on his guard and paying attention to what’s going on around him. Therefore, the slightest unusual noise will immediately make him jump. Instead, if he wags his tail while you pet him while he sleeps, for example, he is expressing affection and trust in him. On the other hand, if you notice that he usually wags his tail for no reason when he is lying down calmly and he has not been in very good condition for a long time, it is better that you consult the vet to ensure his health.
Also read: 10 tips to save on your purchases at the supermarket