The importance of regulating energy consumption is becoming increasingly important for many homes. However, by limiting waste through simple and practical actions, you will save on your energy costs while reducing your carbon footprint. Several tips can help you. In this article we suggest one that will be very practical for you.
Although this is not enough, reducing energy consumption begins above all by paying attention to certain daily habits; such as not abusing electrical appliances or lowering the temperature of the heating in the house depending on the time of year. Today, we’ll show you how to activate one of the buttons on your electric meter to lower your energy bills.
It is essential to pay full attention to our electricity consumption habits. Bill costs affect all French households due to inflation. So be careful not to waste energy unnecessarily, this is the least you can do to lower your bills. But not only ! We show you some actions to perform to deflate the bill:
Also read: What to unplug at night to save electricity? These 3 devices increase your bills
- Turn off electrical appliances in standby mode. They continue to draw electricity when left plugged in and not used. If you are going on a trip for a while, remember to unplug all electrical appliances and turn off the boiler.
- Turn off lights when leaving a room.
- Lower the temperature of your radiators by one degree. Heating represents 60% of energy consumption on average. Also, reducing the temperature by 1°C reduces your bill by 7%.
- Reduce the hot water temperature a few degrees. This will allow you to reduce your electricity consumption without affecting your comfort. The best thing would be to install a temperature regulator.
- Opt for a cold wash. For your white clothes, it is not necessary to wash them all the time with hot water. Washing at 30°C is sufficient for optimal and effective washing.
- Remember to defrost your freezer at room temperature. An ice layer of more than 3 mm leads to excessive consumption of electricity (an increase of 30-40%). Be sure to clean the rear grill of your cold appliances to optimize their operation.
On the other hand, you will need to understand how your meter works and thus identify the different costs generated by your electricity consumption. In addition, you must also check and compare the actual values of your consumption with the estimate provided in your energy contract.
Reduce the electricity consumption of the meter
Nothing is easier! All you have to do is learn to read the consumption rates on your meter to be able to use your different appliances in a more rational way. Consult the information directly from the meter screen using the two keys “S” for selection and “D” for scrolling. The information to take into account is:
- The power subscribed
- The maximum intensity you have reached.
- The price of your subscription.
- Your energy consumption.
You can easily identify your power consumption from the turn signal indicators. In fact, it is a light indicator that is responsible for transmitting information about your degree of electricity consumption in real time. Faster blinking means its power consumption is high. That being said, if your meter shows a green LED, it means that it is working properly. On the other hand, when it is fixed, please note that there is a problem with the power supply and you just have to reset your counter.
Also read: The microwave consumes energy even when it is stopped: apply this trick to stop wasting money
If, on the contrary, the difficulties persist in turning on the meter, it means that there is a connection problem, at this time it is better to contact the technical assistance of your provider at the toll-free number indicated on the invoice. Familiarizing yourself with your meter allows you to understand your home’s electricity usage in real time and warn you if necessary of a potential problem. Finally, consider buying new equipment and comparing energy labels. However, opt for appliances with the label A+, A++ or A+++ as well as energy-saving light bulbs (LED A++).
Adopting these habits will considerably reduce your energy consumption as well as your electricity bill. This trick is recommended especially at peak times, when electricity consumption is higher.
Also read: What happens if you leave the internet always on on your phone? no one thinks about it