When your kitchen sink or tub drains are blocked, it’s a real nightmare! With use, food remains and lime deposits accumulate. As a result, your sink ends up clogged. No panic! In this article, we offer tips and tricks for unclogging drains. We’ve got it covered for you…
Are your pipes clogged with scale? Don’t worry. It is no longer necessary to use chemicals. Sometimes expensive whose effectiveness leaves something to be desired. For the kitchen sink, for example, some cleaners can harm pipes and drains. Also, based on chemicals, they are very harmful to your health.
Where do limescale clogs in the pipes come from?
Do you often wonder where the limescale clogs that block your pipes come from? We answer you! The limestone that causes you this problem is simply from hard water. When it flows through the pipes, the limestone becomes lodged in the walls of the pipes. Over time, these deposits solidify to form a plug. As a consequence, the passage of water is difficult and the pipes are clogged.
Also read: The genius trick to clean the oven rack: it will look like new again
did you know Unclogging drains is not that difficult. After explaining the origin of the problem, let’s move on to the solutions.
We are going to present you with some impeccable tips to dissolve scale and unclog your pipes. Follow our advice, we will not let you down!
1. Decalcify your pipes with hot water
When your drain is blocked, your first step is to pour boiling water over it. Very simple ! It may be enough to unclog your pipes. This solution is all your pipes need to get rid of limescale buildup. In a few steps, you’re done!
- Bring water to a boil on the stove or heat it with a kettle.
- Pour the boiling water directly into the sink drain.
- Open the faucet to see if the water flows smoothly. If not, repeat the process!
Important ! If your drain is connected to PVC pipes, disregard this tip. Boiling water damages and melts plastic.
2.Remove limescale with white vinegar and baking soda
Here is a natural solution to unclog your pipes! 100% homemade, it is super effective to end this problem. Follow the guide!
- A cup of baking soda – 200 g
- A cup of white vinegar – 200 ml
- A cup of coarse salt – 200 g
- A cup of water – 200ml
How to proceed ?
- First, start by pouring a pot of boiling water down the drain.
- Pour in the white vinegar, baking soda, and coarse salt.
- Add a cup of hot water
- Leave to act for 5 to 10 minutes.
- To finish, pour boiling water again and voila!
This mixture creates a powerful reaction to remove lime residue. Don’t hesitate to try this method, it’s great!
Your kitchen sink is clogged, trouble begins! Don’t worry, we’ll show you some simple tips to unclog it. Ready to find out how to do it? Go!
1. Clean the siphon
Grandma stuff! A classic method for your sink is to clean the trap. How ? Put on your pair of gloves and take your courage with both hands! Here is our manual:
- Place an empty bucket under your siphon
- Unscrew your siphon
- remove all waste
- clean with a little soap
- Screw the siphon back into place
This way, your siphon is clean and your sink is unclogged. Simple, fast and efficient, right?
2. Use a plunger to unclog the pipes.
Before you call in the professionals, consider using a plunger to unclog your kitchen sink. Nothing so complicated! Here are the steps to do it:
- Fill the sink halfway with hot water.
- Block the passage of water.
- Place the plunger in the drain, then pull up and down to create a vacuum to evacuate debris.
- Remove the cap and wait to see if water comes out.
- Repeat the process if necessary.
3. Another tip: try the plumber’s snake to descale
The plumber’s snake, a proven unblocking tool! It allows you to scrape the walls of your pipes to evacuate lime residue and accumulated debris. All you have to do is insert your tool into the drain and push gently, not roughly, to push the debris down the drain. Repeat the process until the blockage is completely gone.
Prevention is better than cure ! And yes ! Now that your sink is clog-free, here are some tips to maintain it.
First rule of thumb, refrain from dumping debris into your pipes. We are talking about :
Also read: The trick of crafty housewives to remove mold from kitchen and bathroom furniture
- Fats and oils.
- Coffee grains.
- Starches, such as pasta, rice, or bread.
- Peels, hearts and fruit stickers.
- Paper products, such as paper towels or food wrap…
Over time, these items block drains. Another thing, get in the habit of pouring boiling water down the drain to get rid of limescale and debris that gets stuck on the walls of the pipes.
As you will have understood, our advice will be of great value for the long-term maintenance of your pipes. Do not hesitate to take them into account and apply them! But don’t replace the plumber if the problem persists. An expert will help you in case of complications.
Also read: Stop Throwing Out Egg Cartons: 3 Smart Ways To Reuse Them