At a time of energy sobriety and the dawn of a global economic crisis, we all want to effectively reduce our fuel consumption. Therefore, there are several ways to achieve this. Discover this technique that will make you consume less fuel and that will also allow you to improve the performance of your vehicle.
Drivers were instructed to use a little-known shifting technique to increase the car’s fuel efficiency. It consists of changing very quickly to higher gears.
By using the highest gear within the posted speed limit, drivers can increase fuel economy. Gear ratio is the main fuel consumption factor.
Also read: Experienced drivers close their windows while driving – they save a lot of money
One of the best ways to achieve a high speed is to drive in the highest possible gear for the vehicle while staying within the speed limit. In urban areas, the driver is advised to change gear as quickly as possible at the lowest possible rpm. The higher the engine speed, the more fuel the vehicle will consume.
Do you consume less fuel by driving slower?
Going slower technically saves fuel because at high speeds the engine has to rev faster and faster to overcome wind resistance. However, traveling at a slower speed also means that your journey takes longer, so your engine burns more fuel, especially on longer journeys. Therefore, driving at 20 km/h will not save you fuel, on the contrary, you will consume more.
On the highway, in most cars, the ideal speed is around 80 km/h with a margin of around 8 km/h to maintain efficient driving.
There is another trick related to the speed of the car that could help us save on fuel consumption, and that is to maintain a constant speed while driving.
When you suddenly change gear, repeatedly brake and then accelerate, you are consuming excess fuel. Tests have shown that varying speed between 75 and 85 km/h every 18 seconds can increase fuel consumption by 20%.
At what speed do we consume less fuel?
Most cars consume less fuel when traveling between 50 and 80 km/h. Above this speed, vehicles consume much more fuel.
For example, at 120 km/h, a vehicle consumes approximately 20% more fuel than at 100 km/h. On a 25 km trip, this peak speed, and therefore fuel consumption, would only reduce the journey time by two minutes.
Also read: What is the hole in the tank lid for? It allows motorists to save money.
Do we consume less with cruise control?
In fact, cruise control can help make you more fuel efficient and can help you save an average of 7-14% on your fuel costs due to its ability to maintain a constant speed.
Frequently Asked Questions: Car Fuel Consumption
- How to reduce the fuel consumption of your car? Answer: Using the upshift technique very quickly, using the highest gear within the speed limit, and driving in the highest possible gear within the speed limit.
- Do you consume less fuel by driving slower? Answer: No, because driving slowly increases travel time and therefore the engine burns more fuel on long trips. The ideal speed is about 80 km/h on the highway.
- How can we adopt economical driving to reduce our fuel consumption? Answer: Maintaining a constant speed while driving, without suddenly changing speed or repeatedly braking and accelerating.
- At what speed do we consume less fuel? Answer: Most cars consume less fuel between 50 and 80 km/h.
- Do you use less fuel with cruise control? Answer: Yes, by maintaining a constant speed, cruise control can help save an average of 7-14% in fuel costs.
Also read: Should we do it in the morning or in the afternoon? It is important to save