Who does not want to eat a raw cucumber, very fresh or as a garnish in a salad? It has many nutritional benefits and is very popular in many recipes. But before trying it, did you know that it is better to crush it lightly? Let’s explore together in more detail the benefits of this practice and why you should start doing it now too!
Generally, we only cut the cucumbers into pieces after washing them well. But, did you know that there is another step to follow before consuming it? We explain how to do it in this article!
Why do you have to mash a cucumber before eating it?
The idea may sound a bit strange to those of you who haven’t heard of it, but there are actually good reasons why you should mash a cucumber before eating it. In fact, this practice is very common in some (Asian) culinary cultures. We show you why you should!
Also read: Is a cucumber a fruit or a vegetable?
– Speed up the disgorgement
By crushing a cucumber, the cell walls of the plant are destroyed, which speeds up the outflow of water. In a comparative test conducted by Keith Dresser of Cook’s Illustrated, crushed and salt-sprinkled cucumbers lost much of their water weight (faster than crushed and salt-sprinkled cucumbers).
– Extract water
Part of the reason cucumbers are so low in calories is because they are mostly water. Because of this, they can also absorb other flavors. That’s why Asian chefs tend to squash them before slicing. The reason for this is that they want to ensure that the vegetable dries out a bit and becomes crunchier.
– Improves the taste
Composed mainly of water (95%), cucumber is known for its cooling effect, but its flavor is often diluted in this water, making it quite tasteless. Crushing it before eating gives it a better flavor and allows it to hang better in sauces and dressings.
If you choose good quality cucumbers, you won’t need to drain them, but if they are soft and watery, you should definitely take action. We show you the correct method to follow, below. Up to you !
- Wash your cucumbers, cut off the ends, and peel them if their skin is thick.
- Next, place your veggies in a zip-lock bag, add two small pinches of fine salt (or coarse salt), and seal well.
- Give your cucumbers a few good whacks with the pan or rolling pin, do it firmly but gently! Crush with the flat of a knife blade if you like (as you do with garlic), it’s simple and convenient!
- Repeat the operation as many times as necessary, until your cucumbers are well flattened and separated into several pieces.
- Let rest for at least 20 minutes so that the water they contain drains well.
- And jump! all you have to do is put them in a colander and rinse them well to remove the salt and dry them with a clean towel and voila!
- And here you are, ready to prepare your delicious cucumber recipes like a real chef!
However, if you don’t want to use salt to soak your vegetables, all you have to do is slice them and dry them with a clean cloth. Thus, dear readers, you are sure that the water they contain will be eliminated!
To throw up a cucumber, here is the correct technique on video:
Should you peel the skin of the cucumber and remove the seeds?
If you are one of the people who digest cucumber poorly, you should know that what makes it less digestible are its seeds. So be sure to remove them before draining the cucumber or eating it. Also, avoid peeling it in the future. Being rich in fiber, its skin greatly facilitates digestion.
In this tutorial, you will learn how to cut a cucumber in three different ways, depending on your needs:
Also read: Eating cucumber: effects on health
So, dear readers? Do you fancy a cucumber with Greek yogurt or cucumber gazpacho? To your aprons!
Also read: Can you eat cucumbers with tomatoes in the same salad?