Cleaning and disinfection of the refrigerator is essential to maintain good hygiene and avoid the risk of food contamination. What are the best practices to apply to properly clean your fridge? Discover the tips to disinfect it thoroughly and thus protect its health.
The refrigerator is a key piece in our day to day, so it is important to maintain it correctly. This includes monthly cleaning, although we know this can be tedious. Fortunately, there is a simple and effective trick to make cleaning the fridge easier.
Dirt inside the refrigerator can cause bad odors and shorten its life. Also, food can spoil more quickly, and some foods can absorb unpleasant odors, not to mention health risks.
Also read: Do you have magnets on the fridge? They must be removed immediately: here is the damage they can cause
We know that completely emptying the fridge to clean all the shelves, drawers and accessories can be time consuming and cumbersome. Spilling a pot of sauce or breaking a pot of yogurt can make cleanup even more difficult.
The cling film trick is a simple and effective way to clean the fridge. Just cover the areas that tend to get the most stains or are harder to clean, like the bottom or top shelf, with plastic wrap.
So anytime one of these spots gets stained, all you have to do is carefully remove the dirty plastic wrap and replace it with a fresh one. This trick keeps the fridge clean and free of unwanted stains.
The trick was shared by a Facebook user who, tired of the dirt accumulated behind the products in the fridge, decided to cover the most rebellious areas with transparent film. For this method to be effective, it is important to squeeze the plastic wrap tightly to prevent it from tearing or wrinkling. It is also recommended to change the plastic film every week or even every two weeks, even if it is not dirty.
In short, this simple trick will keep your refrigerator clean and extend its life. So don’t hesitate and try it now!
with baking soda
For deep cleaning, it is best to use baking soda. It is one of the most used ecological cleaning products along with vinegar. Thanks to baking soda, you can clean a multitude of surfaces and elements in the house: from the bathtub, through the stains on the carpets, through the sink and even the fridge.
To clean the fridge, mix 2 tablespoons of baking soda, a little lemon juice (optional) and a liter of water. Then wipe the inside with the mixture using a cloth, and voila! With this simple combination you will eliminate germs and bacteria from inside the refrigerator.
To clean and disinfect the refrigerator, you have several options. But first, it is necessary to empty the refrigerator before adding any product. Later, it will be enough to clean it with a cloth and dry it. These are the steps to follow to clean the inside of the refrigerator:
- Take all food out of the refrigerator.
- Disconnect the device
- Add 3 parts warm water and 1 part vinegar to a spray bottle and spray liberally on unclogged refrigerator shelves.
- Using a damp cloth, wipe down the shelves and walls, removing all spills and dirt. If you have a tougher stain, pour a small amount of undiluted vinegar on that spot and let it sit for a few minutes.
- Wipe clean with a towel and the fridge is ready to be used again.
- To keep your refrigerator looking good between cleanings, keep a bottle of vinegar-based cleaner handy for a quick clean. Be sure to label it and all other household cleaning products.
Another trick to clean the inside of the refrigerator that our grandmothers used is to apply salt water. Mix a handful of salt in about 4 liters of warm water and use a sponge to scrub the inside of the fridge.
Also read: Before washing dishes, put salt on them: the magic trick of experienced housewives
If your refrigerator seals show mold or food debris, follow this process:
- Wet or moisten the refrigerator rubbers.
- Add toothpaste to the brush and scrub all joint surfaces. Do not forget to put on gloves to perform this action.
- Then rinse with a clean cloth dampened with water. It is important that the cloth is not used so that the rubbers do not absorb the smell
Also read: Moldy fridge seals? This is the only way to get rid of them – they become new again!