Although it thoroughly cleans your dishes and cutlery, the dishwasher is not free of dirt or bad smells. It also requires regular maintenance so that its cleaning potential is not weakened. Have you noticed for a long time that it gives off a very unpleasant smell? Don’t worry, some simple and natural solutions will quickly solve this annoying problem.
There is no need to resort to chemical substances, or spend too much money, surely you already have everything you need in stock. Here’s how to clean and refresh your dishwasher.
Why does my dishwasher smell bad?
The most common cause of a bad smell in the dishwasher comes from food debris accumulated in the appliance’s filter, but also on the door or the rubber. Therefore, to avoid its malfunction and prevent the proliferation of bacteria, it is essential to clean it more often.
Also read: Say goodbye to bad smells in the closet thanks to this simple, natural and economical ingredient
Other reasons can cause this bad smell in your dishwasher. The most common are:
- Food residues in the bottom of the dishwasher. In this case, these remains must be removed with paper towels.
- Clogged drain: to ensure that dirty water flows smoothly, in case of clogging, you must necessarily unblock the pipe.
- Moisture and mold: they are two scourges that are accompanied by bacteria and that automatically cause bad odors. The best solution is to leave the door open after each wash cycle to promote good ventilation and allow the appliance to dry properly.
Vinegar and baking soda: a precious duo to deodorize the dishwasher
Like it or not, with time and wear our equipment begins to fail and no longer functions properly. After several attempts, a specialist may finally advise you to replace the device with a new one. This implies the fact of paying a substantial sum to have a more efficient model. If you don’t have the budget right now, you still have another option to try. Some very clever home methods are worth trying to get rid of unpleasant odors contaminating the inside of your dishwasher.
Here is a very effective solution that can do the trick in a few minutes. You only need two ingredients with powerful deodorizing properties to freshen and clean your dishwasher: baking soda and white vinegar. These cleaning agents and disinfectants are ideal for cleaning your device from time to time. As an added benefit, they are antibacterial, anti-limescale and anti-mold. To top it off, these products are eco-friendly and inexpensive!
These are the steps to follow:
Also read: The cheap and easy trick to clean the toilet brush in 5 minutes: eliminate germs and bacteria
- Remove the basket from the dishes, rinse it and let it air dry.
- Remove the filter (in most appliances it is enough to unscrew it).
- Place the filter in a solution of warm water with 1 cup of distilled white vinegar.
- Let it soak for 30 minutes. After this time, you can clean it carefully with an old toothbrush or a dishwashing sponge.
- Gently clean the entire filter area: make sure that no food debris or other debris remains. Take a good look at all the corners where the remains can be embedded insidiously. In which case, a toothpick can help you remove them more easily.
- After this cleaning operation, put all the elements back in their place. Place a bowl of vinegar on a top rack. One drink is enough.
- Set the dishwasher program to run with a very hot water cycle and run it empty. Don’t start to dry out.
- Then remove the container and spray the bottom of the device with a glass of baking soda. Then set a program for a short wash. Finally, rinse the “empty” dishwasher. You will be pleasantly surprised to find out that she has had a makeover!
Other natural remedies to adopt
Eliminate bad odors with citrus
Many people do not take advantage of the unexpected potential of orange and lemon peels. So stop throwing them away! By adding citrus zest to the dishwasher, it is guaranteed to leave behind a delicate fresh tangy smell. You can put them in a small bag or leave them in one of the cutlery compartments. Then remove them after each wash.
Count on the deodorizing power of baking soda
It is always good to apply baking soda for the final cleaning touch. Sprinkle half a cup of this white powder in the bottom of the dishwasher: this product quickly neutralizes bad odors without damaging the appliance. Run a short cycle program at full temperature. Like two birds with one stone, baking soda will remove food stains and freshen the inside of the appliance. Say goodbye to bad smells!
Also read: Eliminate bad smells from the garbage with a simple trick: no more bad smells in the kitchen