If you have old sweaters in your closet, don’t throw them away! You can reuse them in really cool ways! Learning to recycle all kinds of old objects is the best way to reduce our environmental impact, protect our planet and also give birth to something unique and precious… In this article we will guide you to transform your old sweater into something very fashionable !
You just went through your wardrobe and you come across a dozen old sweaters that you don’t know what to do with. Put them aside, because you will definitely need them! We have a great solution to help you give them a second life! He went away !
It is a fact ! Wool sweaters are very comfortable. They are warm and perfect to face the winter. It is without a doubt a must have this season! However, over the years, by dint of washing and using them, they become deformed and do not heat up like the first day. Then what do we do? Without thinking too much about it, we get rid of it immediately! However, there is an amazing way to recycle them and give them a second life! We show you how to do it below.
Also read: Open any jar in 5 seconds without anyone’s help with an easy trick
What you will need:
For this project, you will need the following items:
- A jean jacket or vest
- An old sweater (preferably with sleeves the same size or slightly larger than your jacket or cardigan)
- fabric scissors
- Sewing machine
- sewing pins
As we just mentioned above! For added comfort, it’s best if the sleeves of your sweater and jean jacket are similar in size. If the sizes don’t match, you can wear sweater sleeves with larger shoulder openings than the jean jacket. In fact, it’s easier to shrink than expand a garment, you can simply stitch along the side of the sleeve to adjust the size as needed. Up to you !
Also read: Perfume the house and eliminate all bad odors: 3 leaves of this plant are enough
The steps to follow:
If you want to add sleeves to a cardigan or jean jacket, there is no shortage of tips! But in our opinion, the easiest way is to turn the jacket inside out and fix the sleeve to the armhole. Follow our guide:
- Turn your jean jacket inside out and use your scissors to cut the sleeves, leaving about an inch past the shoulder seam.
- For the sleeves of your sweater, do the opposite, the cut should be made a little further from the shoulder seam (to give you a longer sleeve).
- By leaving enough fabric, you will have enough room to sew the sleeves of your sweater to your jean jacket.
- Before sewing anything, make sure you line up the shoulder seams before pinning (turn the jacket inside out to check if the sleeves fit snugly around the shoulder. This is to ensure the end result is comfortable and stylish ).
- Now is the time to use your sewing machine! To get it right, start directly from the underarm area, making sure the two ends meet.
- Once the previous step is done, repeat the same operation with the other sleeve and that’s it!
- When you finish! Just flip your new jacket over and you’re done! You already have a stylish and original garment.
If you don’t have an old sweater or jean jacket to use for this DIY hack, don’t worry! You can easily find what you are looking for at a local thrift store. This will not only allow you to get your hands on clothing at a low price, but it will also give you the opportunity to create a custom garment. So, dear readers, feel free to give this sewing project a try and let us know your feedback!
Also read: The trick of 0.20 euros to heat the house and avoid heat loss